Leftovers – Delicious the Next Day
I've been hearing from a lot of folks who love using the 1.5-2 quart crock pot to cook breakfast overnight! Yay! Just two quick tips. First, be sure to soak the crock as soon as you serve to make clean-up a snap. It really helps! Secondly, save your leftovers for another yummy breakfast.
I love leftovers!
I never want my good homemade whole grains to go to waste. Plus, they make great leftovers! The best method is a personal preference but here are some suggestions:
1. Reheat on the stove in a small sauce pan with a little milk, nut milk, coconut milk. Add a dash of vanilla to brighten it up a bit.
2. Pan fry! So yummy.
A personal favorite because I love the crisper texture to contrast with the smoother breakfast the first day. Put a little butter or coconut oil, olive oil or any favorite oil into the pan. Add a serving of leftover congee to the pan. Flatten and shape it into a pancake.
3. Pop it in the microwave. Yep, I do it! Ready in seconds.
4. Melt a slice of cheese on top. Place in the oven on baking sheet with a slice of cheese on top until it's warm and melted.
5. Put the extra serving directly out of the crock into a soup thermos and have it for a snack later the same day. Try stirring in a spoonful of nut butter to give it a little extra staying power.
6. Put serving in a sauce pan with a little extra water and bring to a simmer. Whisk in a beaten egg, let cook a minute or two and serve. If it's savory add some fresh scallions and toasted sesame oil, etc. For sweet add a few fresh berries and toasted nuts.
I'd love to hear what you have been doing with your leftovers...if you have any! Post a comment below and let me know what congee you've been making and how you enjoy it most. What do you do to liven up what's left?
Get recipes and tips for amazing and easy breakfasts.
Love mornings with The Breakfast Cure insider secrets.
Cook until golden, flip and cook until warm and cooked to perfection. Top with appropriate fresh herbs, fruits, nuts, yogurt, etc, or just eat as is. Top savory congee cakes with an egg or two. Experiment with beating an egg and mixing in before you pan fry.
PAN TOASTED PORRIDGE CAKES! LEFTOVERS AT THE BREAKFAST CURE - THE WAY WE ROLL.